Monday, January 17, 2005

australia day wish list

Next week on January 26 we australians celebrate Australia Day with a national day off work. While I’ll be celebrating in the traditional way by listening to Triple J’s Hottest 100, this year I’ve taken the time to submit my australia day wish list 2005 a week prior to Australia day to give those responsible ample opportunity to achieve the tasks set out for them below (in no particular order).

Become of Republic – I know we failed at the last attempt but now that Malcolm Turnbull has infiltrated the Liberal Party this should be easier to achieve this time around provided he is still a republican. My condolences of course go out to any remaining monarchists given that this involves dropping Lizzy as our head of state.

Change the flag – While we’re at it lets have a flag which represents our future not it's colonial past. If nothing else can we please lose the union jack…. I know I know, it denotes Australia's historical links with Britain and yes my ancestors did arrive from jolly old England in 1828, but lets get real people, time to cut the apron strings!.

Change the Anthem - Lets face it nobody knows all the words or what the heck 'girt' means so lets change it to "I am, you are, we are Australian" (full version available upon request).

An appology – From the Prime Minister to all indigenous australians. Correct me if I’m wrong Mr Howard but SORRY is not an admission of liability but rather an important step towards reconciliation is this country.

I must be dreaming.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home